Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Gym Resolution - Day 1

Contrary to years prior, I have a few New Year's Resolutions that I've made this year that I really plan on keeping. One of those goals is more a goal for the month of January. I purchased a one-month pass at Gold's Gym that started today and goes until February 10th. From now until then, my goal is to visit the gym every week day! EVERY week day. I get to rest on the weekends. It's going to be intense, but it's going to be worth it! And if I can achieve it, then I'm treating myself to a much-needed massage!
Today was Day 1. Today I weigh about 119-120lbs, I have quite a bit of extra "fluffiness" around my middle and bum area that just needs to GO! I'd also like to fully restore my abs and tone my other muscles. That's the goal. Weight loss? Ehh... I'm expecting 5-10lbs most. More than anything, I just need to take the extra fat, or "bad" weight, and turn it into muscle, or "good" weight! :)
Today I went to the gym from about 10:15am until 11:25am, despite it being REALLY cold and pretty snowy outside! I set out to go to a zumba class, but there weren't classes today due to it being New Year's Day, so I changed my plan. 

Here's what I did:
  • Bike machine, 20 minutes, level 3-5, ~110 calories burned
  • Lifted free weights (biceps, triceps) for 5 mins
  • Stretched and did ab work (crunches, leg drops) for about 10-15mins
  • Lateral pull-down machine, behind my head, 5 sets of 10 reps (30lbs, 45lbs, 45, 45, 30)
  • Lunges with 5 lb weights all the way across the class workout room and back
  • Hip adducter/abducter machine, two sets of each, 10 reps - about 5 minutes
It was a lot of fun figuring out what kind of things I can do there at the gym. It was a little-bit-of-everything kind of day. 

And then tonight I decided to go to yoga as well. They were having their "108 Sun Salutations" class for the new year. Let's put it this way: in a normal yoga class, you would do maybe 10 sun salutations (each salutation is a series of 10-18 specific poses) at most before you move on to other poses, and then maybe another 10-15 of these series intermixed between poses throughout the class. I was worried about finishing this class, especially because I had worked out earlier today. 

A little over a third of the way through, maybe 40 sun salutation series in, I was convinced I was DONE and there was no way I was going to finish it. I was tired, losing energy, and it was getting to my head. But I decided just to keep doing one more and one more and just try to take it easy. I also reminded myself that if I can push a baby out of my body for 2 hours, then I can do this yoga class for 2 hours! :) I had to remind myself that I would be proud once it was over and that I'd have the bragging right to say that I did it! 

And guess what... I DID IT! Yes I did. Boo yah! 

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to move tomorrow. It's going to be interesting. But there's one thing I can promise you: I WILL be at the gym!

Any motivation is very appreciated! 

1 comment: