Monday, June 20, 2011

Decisions, Decisions...

Many of you may not know this unless you know me pretty darn well, but I seem to have this problem with being indecisive. Especially when I'm trying to make a decision within a certain time frame. And it really does cause me some self-inflicted stress sometimes.

Let me give you a couple of examples that I will take from my current life situation.

Example #1: Baby Stuff. Like, you know, all of it. Do I buy new or used? Which kind do I get? There are SOME things I know, like I really love cute little owls and I really think I want a dark brown crib that converts into a toddler bed and a twin bed (probably a lot like the one pictured below). Here's a picture of a cute bedding set that I love with branches and darling little birds and owls:
I love it because it's neutral enough it could easily go either way for a boy or a girl, so if I have a girl second I don't have to buy all new things. But then I start thinking to myself, "Well, wait! Should I get something a little more 'manly' for my little man? You know... like cars or footballs or something. This is really cute too:
I guess I just have to decide what I like (and factor in the price) and then go for it. And I haven't even started thinking about strollers and car seats and high chairs and... you know... everything else! I just need to take a breath and remember I don't have to do it all today. **Breathe in... breathe out**

Example #2: A Car! Well, as you may know, someone recently hit and totaled my car. I've been driving my rental for about a week and a half now. And since it was a little out of the blue, Trevor and I haven't had much time prior to the accident to decide what kind of car we want. And how much to spend. And how much mileage is too much. Etc... So anyway, there are SOME things we do know: We think we want a crossover, with lower mileage, not much wear and tear, pretty decent gas mileage, and within the price range of $9-15K. Oh, did I mention that those are really difficult to find? So car shopping stinks. Especially because there are so many options. And especially because I'm (erm... WE'RE) so indecisive!

Example #3: A name for our sweet baby boy. I seriously have minor mental panic attacks when I realize that I have to pick a name that I am going to love FOREVER. And that suits my child. And goes with my last name. And has a nice "ring" to it. And that Trevor agrees with. And doesn't mean something weird. And.... and... **breathe in, breathe out**. I'm sure we'll figure it out. Right?! Right!?!!!

Anyway, thanks for indulging in my indecisiveness. And I WOULD appreciate your opinions on the matter - especially if you have experience in the realms of buying baby stuff, buying cars, or naming children :)

Love,

Indecisive Me <3

12 comments:

  1. Car seats are one thing you dont want to buy used b/c they have expiration dates and expire if they've been in an accident. We like our Chicco travel system, but Chicco car seats are a bit larger and heavier than other popular brands, like Graco. I LOVE my crib (converts to toddler and twin bed and has a drawer underneath), but even that is 2 inches 2 long to fit through a doorway (makes it a pain in the butt to move). We also went with a gender neutral green theme and "man" up Jackson in other ways (clothes and such). We bought Breathable Baby Bumpers to prevent Jack from getting stuck in the crib but to decrease the risks of SIDS. What else...? There are so many things to buy, but at least half of them you dont REALLY need. Like a baby swing. We have a johnny jump-up that jack doesnt really use, and a knock-off brand of a bumbo chair that he only really uses as a high chair (straps into a kitchen chair to save space). Feel free to send me a message/email if you have any questions! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like the name Rocket. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe someone totaled your car!! I'm so sorry! So Paul and I had to buy a new car just a few days before we got married so the list that you have is actually a really good start - it explains our car almost perfectly, except for the type, of course. Ours is a mazda and I absolutely love it...but if I were about to have a little baby I might want something a little more sturdy. Just be patient and keep looking and you'll find what you want! I'm glad you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With 4 kids under the belt and the baby stage still extremely fresh, I could give you all sorts of opinions/advice. But I don't have time to type it all. ;) Call me or chat me up in person about all your questions! Remember though, you will get every answer under the sun because it's mostly about opinions... already there have been answers posted that I would totally disagree with... so you never know!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baby stuff!!! You are welcome borrow any of Henry's toys or cloths when you are ready.
    Buy new car seats.
    Crib bedding sets are cute but over priced and dangerous. You are not suppose to have bumpers anymore. And extra stuff in the crib can post extra risks.
    I'll have to give you a list of baby things I loved and will not go without.

    Let's get together soon. We would love to have you over again or we can come to with. We will bring monkey Henry too. :)

    Let's get together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah so much to think about, you're makin me nervous! ha. and suuuuper excited too. for now, i just get to pinterest everything i like/want but don't have to make any decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just remember that you have time! i always thought i was indecisive too, until it came time to picking baby-related stuff.

    honestly, i just walked through babies r us with my cool little gun and zapped one of every type of item - just pick the pattern or design you like best, and remember, you can always exchange it later if you change your mind. i have a crib similar to yours (it was my brother's and sister's and we'll be inheriting it) that converts into a full size bed. personally, i think these are the best investments in the long run since you dont have to buy another bed after they outgrow the bassinet stage. i agree about carseats, don't buy used (unless you're REALLY close with the person you get it from and know that it's been purchased within the last couple years and never been in an accident and is in good condition). i picked out a chicco travel system and ended up getting the same system (different pattern) from a good friend at 1/3 the price... otherwise, i'd never consider it.

    names are a little different, and i got lucky. nate said he picks boys names and i pick girls (he wants a "little nate") so we dont have to worry about it too much, but a friend of mine (see abovementioned carseat friend) and her hubby each took a sheet of paper and wrote down their top 15ish names and compared. luckily there was some overlap and they agreed, but if not, then you can at least eliminate and find out the "type" of name you like (ie traditional, family, "popular", etc). i'm sure whatever you decide, you'll love it!

    <3 Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two comments:
    1. Buy things you can use over with future children. That way, you save yourself extra decisions in the future.

    2. I had the same car problem. I was told mine needed some repairs that would be more expensive than my car's value. Eventually I gave up and decided to fix my car. I would just advise you not to go with a volkswagen. They're expensive, and you have to go to a specialized place to get them fixed.... my family got mine new just over 10 yrs ago and I've got 161,000 miles on it. For a while it seriously felt like I was taking it into the shop every week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although they are super cute, I realized that buying bedding sets is a waste of money. We hardly used Joseph's for anything. We just bought a couple sheets for Annabelle and then she has blankets that her grandmas have made for her. I do wish we had those breathable bumpers, though. My "essentials" have been: swaddling blankets, a swing, and a bouncer. If you want, you could borrow our swing/bouncer combo, just call me or email me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alex, You should buy what you love for the first baby. Don't worry about other children, because you will want to buy what you love then, too! You will probably want the cutest little girl stuff too when the time comes. We didn't do "sports" theme with Ethan's bedding--I think it's overdone! The owls are adorable! Do something that you love and is as unique as your little boy.

    I don't have any car advice, but I do have baby name advice, since you asked! Do your homework, read those baby name books, have a short list ready to bring to the hospital, but for us, the choice was clear once we got him in our arms. If you choose something well known, don't do a weird spelling. That's just not nice. Let us be surprised when you announce his birth, announce what he will be named as well. Best of luck deciding! Love Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should look into a Graco Flip-it stroller. I wish I had it!

    I got the breathable bumpers at BabiesRUs.

    Bumbo was a waste of money.

    Bouncer and swing were life-savers.

    Drop-side cribs are supposed to be dangerous? We haven't had any issues with ours, but we never use the drop feature, since the mattress can be raised and lowered as she grows. I would find a second-hand crib that doesn't drop.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My cousin, Shanna (who you know) got a "Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper" (from Target) for her baby boy as a bassinet. It's wonderful and I wish I had it with Rachel.

    ReplyDelete