Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Gingerbread Houses

So, to start a holiday tradition at the Shipp household, Trevor and I made holiday gingerbread houses this year out of graham crackers, cream cheese icing (only the best!) and assorted candies we picked out. We made them about a week before Christmas and it was actually really fun to tap into my kid/creative side for a while!

I also loved the fact that our kitchen table got seriously messy--kind of like it used to when my brother and I would play with Play-Doh as kids :)Here's Trevor hard at work (and also in desperate need of a haircut!):
I worked hard on my house and used a plastic bag to help me squeeze out clean-looking icing lines. The next four pictures are the four sides of my home... Front (notice my green Santa gummy bear on top with his chocolate chip hat):
Right side:
Back (watch out for the giant worm!):
Left side:
I was pretty happy that it stayed in tact and that it turned out really pretty! Of course I had to take a picture with it:
Here's the front view of Trevor's creation, which kept wanting to cave in toward the end. We caught this picture really quickly before it completely collapsed (he has a Santa bear too!):
And this picture just makes me laugh! It's just so appropriate! :) Trevor's collapsed little gingerbread house on the left and my sturdy, "perfect" one on the right. Now, I don't want to say that this picture serves to represent our personalities because that wouldn't be fair to Trevor... but... in reality the picture really is quite fitting... :)
It was a fun little tradition that we started that hopefully we'll continue throughout the years! I'm sure it will get more fun when we have kids who are excited about it! More Christmas pictures to come!

3 comments:

  1. Would the Town of Gingerbread Fire Department come if you turned on the burners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I made 22 rice krispy treat houses with a graham cracker roof this year for Maddi's class. You should try those next time. And don't tell Trev, but I like yours the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the side-by-side picture of your houses, haha! And I did put trip to Mexico (fourth line down). Couldn't forget that one, that was the best! :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete