Sunday, November 16, 2008

Victory!

Yesterday, I competed in BYU's Fall 2008 Dancesport Championships competition. When taking dance classes at BYU, this is the part in the semester that I look forward to the MOST! So, yesterday, I got up early, got ready with my friend Christina, and we headed over to the Wilkenson Center. My partner, Brad, and I had put in hours of practice, and I was really excited to get out on the competition floor. Waiting for the first round results was the most nervewracking. Will the judges like us? Did they notice us out of the 82 couples and 4 heats? But our number showed up on the screen! :) And it did again... and again... for 4 rounds that morning until only 12 couples remained.

So we had to go back later that night at about 6, where we danced the Semifinals. We awaited our results very anxiously. When our number showed up as one of the final 7, Brad and I began screaming and jumping up and down! We did it! We made it to the finals! So we danced our hearts out in the finals and it was a triumphal moment.

Then it was time for the awards -- when we would find out what place we got overall. "7th place", the announcer said, "goes to...." NOT OUR NUMBER! And 6th!? Not us! 5th? Not us again! At this point, I was praying not to get fourth, because the top three couples get trophies, while the other four get ribbons. I really wanted a trophy :)

"Fourth place... couple number ..."! NOT US! :) I was ecstatic! We got called as the third place couple out of 82 total couples. I was on top of the world! And here's a fun picture of my partner Brad and me:If you want to see the video Trevor took of us dancing in the Final round, then go to facebook and look at the video on my profile! :) (click here)

What a fantastic Saturday!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Alex! That is an amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH!!! CONGRATS! That is awesome! I am glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, congrats on being the champion on 1980!

    And no, I will not just let that die haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congralations! I saw the video. I had no idea you danced. You should be in the next Step Up :)

    P.S. I saw you in Buckle the other day, but it wa sso busy and you were talking to customers, but I sent love your way with my mind!

    ReplyDelete