Saturday, February 18, 2012

DIY: Hanging a Quilt the Easy & Cost Effective Way

I spent quite a while brainstorming how to hang the beautiful quilt that my mom made for Charlie. There are many suggested ways of doing so on the internet (including buying nice curtain rods and sewing on a sleeve to the back of the quilt to slide the rod through), but I wanted something a little less expensive and much more temporary. The following steps outline my ingenious (well, I thought so!) idea.

I went to Lowes and spent less than $2 on these little silver screw eye hooks...
...and a 1/2" thick wooden dowel that was just a few inches longer than the quilt (48" in my case). I'm thinking now that I could have even purchased a shorter one and it could have hid totally behind the quilt. But either way it looks good and it works!
Step 1: Screw one eye hook into each of the two ends of the wooden dowel (it was soft wood and I could do this by hand!):
Step 2: Create a temporary "sleeve" of sorts for the dowel to slide through. I created mine using safety pins...
...and scrap ribbon left over from hanging the wooden letters. I just laid the dowel over the back top of the quilt, about an inch or so from the top, and safety pinned the ribbon around it as tight as I could get it. Try to just grab the back layer of the quilt with the pins so you don't see them peeking out on the front of the quilt! I pinned on the ribbon on both ends, and then about 5 more times across the top of the quilt to give it nice support in each spot.
Step 3: Using these same clear sticky hooks that I used to hang the wooden letters (you could easily use nails if you want)...
...just measure the distance between the loops in the screw eye hooks and place the hooks (or nails) in the wall at the height that you wish. You'll just slip the screws right over the hooks and voila! You're done! You can barely see the dowel in the picture below:
I actually also purchased dark brown spray paint and I almost painted the dowel/eye-hook unit to match the dark furniture of the room instead of leaving it the light wooden color. But, I chickened out (or just got lazy) and so I'm going to just return the spray paint because I think it looks fine without it :)

Also, on a side note, in order to make room on my wall for the hanging of the beautiful quilt, I had to replace my tall bookshelf, seen here, with two shorter ones from Ikea. And I LOVE them! One, of course, is just below the quilt in the nursery. The other is showcased in our living room, and I decided to purchase a couple of woven square baskets to put inside for storage. It's so nice to be able to hide the baby toys/diapers/wipes/burp cloths/lotions/etc that I used to just have lying around the room. And it just adds such a nice touch to my living room.
And can I just say this... WHY did I never think of decorating with books before?
They are so artsy! :)
If you like my suggestions for hanging a quilt, let me know. OR! If you think of something else that I could have done that's even easier/better-looking... send ideas my way! <3

9 comments:

  1. Great. Just what I was looking for!!
    Thanks,
    Tatum

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect! I will be doing this today for my son's nursery quilt!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! Very cute quilt, by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome...I was about to break out my sewing kit but this is way easier! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just used your quilt hanging method in our nursery, and it worked great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found this - great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Cute! Thanks so much for the tips. I think I am going to try this but using a branch instead-- as mine is a floral quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I put the backing on my quilt, I made a small rod pocket. When I went to hang, I put the dowel in the pocket and hung. This worked very well, but I also like your idea. Thanks for the suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect just what I was looking for. I want to make a new quilt for my living room wall each year so I wanted a quick temporary hanging method that's easily removable at the end of each year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete