Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Best Experience of My Life Thus Far!

Or at least, pretty close! :)

Tonight, I went to the gym for my usual 9pm Tuesday night class. When I arrived, I saw to my dismay that there was a sign on the door of the yoga classroom that said "John's Yoga Class has Been Cancelled Tonight". Frustrated but shrugging it off, I turned around to leave the gym. On may way out, another girl was arriving for the yoga class and I told her it was cancelled. Then, a second later I said, "Hey wait! You want to stay and we can kind of have our own class together?" She liked that idea so we went into the room where there were a few people with yoga mats, another couple people doing a few yoga moves, and another few just lifting weights and doing crunches. The lights were on and the fans were going, so we found ourselves a spot in the back to do a bit of yoga. Soon, I realized there were about 6 other people in the room who were there for yoga and I just stopped and said out loud, "Does anyone mind if we do a bit of student teaching?" My friend Kathryn Merriam was there and she liked the idea and she also had an iPod with some music. So, with a little help from the Gold's Gym guy, we got the sound system running, the microphone ready to go, and I just grabbed a little courage and my pink mat and started TEACHING a yoga class! :) I got up in front on the raised "stage" area of the classroom and just started! I told the 10 or so people who were there that I may not go the whole time because it was my first time doing it, but we'd see how it went. At first, I wasn't sure what to do, but I started with the normal yoga Sun Salutation Series A and slowly let my mind think of all the other things I could do. After I knew it, I was completely comfortable and having a BLAST teaching yoga!I am SO SO glad I chose to go to yoga tonight, because I almost didn't! I'm also so so glad that I just had the guts to get up and try my hand at teaching. I learned that I felt quite comfortable doing so, and that I still got my workout!

After, I got a couple comments from the students like "Good job! That was great!" or from my friend, "Wow! You sounded like you had been doing it forever, like you knew what you were talking about the whole time! Awesome!" or my favorite from a guy in the class, "Yeah. You gave me a workout! I was sweating!" :) Hooray for learning that I am capable of doing something new. Now I'm flirting with the possible idea of actually certifying to become a real yoga instructor!

What a fantastic night and an even more fantastic experience!

5 comments:

  1. As I read your post, I got this huge smile on my face like I did as a kid when they cancelled school because of snow! What an awesome story and what a spectacularly brave and gutsy thing to do! I think you should GO FOR IT! Get that cert! You would be a great instructor. I only wish I was there to be in your first class!

    Luv,
    DaDdy,yO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Daddy-O 100%! Alex, you love Yoga, and although this may not be a job you decide you want to do forever, you could TOTALLY get certified and teach a class every now and then.

    It's like the old saying. "If you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life!"

    I love you and I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, you should totally do it! I love yoga too. It's the best!! (did it today, in fact.) ahhh. If you certify, you can get paid to do your own workout and you can get a job anywhere that you can work in to any busy schedule. (For inspiration, think Amanda Henderson, three girls and a busy life, and teaches about 7 classes a week). yay for you! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Alex... I feel so proud of you I am close to tears! That is so wonderful. Please do get trained. There are A LOT of avenues to get the training out there, so look into what most gyms require (talk to the gym's group fitness coordinator) and then GO girl! You got my support for sure! ~A

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I wish I would have been there to see you. I haven't done yoga in what feels like forever!

    ReplyDelete